Having collected all 10 marbles in their jar, 1MD had a fantastic morning. The children had chance to paint in the Ark area under the shady trees. They spent time in the forest school area lighting 5 minute fires, making dens and eating pop corn which was popped over the open fire! A great morning was had by all, followed by an afternoon planting beans.
Year 1 have had an amazing day at the aquarium today! We took the coach down to Plymouth and had a guided tour of all the tanks by two guides. We loved hearing about all the different types of fish and our tour guides said we were all amazing and had listened really well, which we were really happy to hear. We then all had lunch together and talked about our favorite moments from the day and then came home! Please enjoy our photos below from the day.
Year 1 have spent a lot of time this term learning all about Judaism and Hannukah, so on Wednesday 1NM had a Hanukkah Party where we all shared Shallah bread, potato cakes and fruit while sitting in traditional positions on the carpet. We absolutely loved having the chance to share food with our friends and we listened to traditional music to really get ourselves in the spirit! We are all really thankful to Mrs Jonas for preparing all of our food for us at home and working so hard this year to make our RE lessons fun and engaging this year. Please enjoy some of our photos from the party below.
1NM have loved Outdoor Maths Week! We have had such a great time using all of our outdoor maths resources to do all sorts of fun things. We have been doing lots of measuring and weighing as well as lots of counting and adding. Please enjoy our photos from the week below!
Year 1 have absolutely loved having Arts Week this week! We have been working really hard on lots of different art skill stations, doing lots of painting and creating. We've worked especially hard on our paper mache bowls ahead of our art exhibition next week. We've been taking our time to do each step carefully and are looking forward to sharing the finished result on Monday. Please enjoy some of our photos from this week below.
On Wednesday Year 1 took part in our annual sports day. We had lots of fun taking part in a range of activities, including shot put, relay and hurdles.
Across the school we have been basing our 'Ready Steady Write' day on animals and what a day in their life would be like. In Year 1 we thought we would look at the animals that we are lucky enough to have at our school so we went on a little visit to see the chickens and the guinea pigs. We even got to hold the guinea pigs!
After that we went back to our classrooms and spent the day writing about a day in life of an animal at Pinhoe Primary School. Once we had finished our writing, we made a visit to 5JC to share our work and we also got to hear some of their amazing animal diary entries.
Here are some photos we took throughout the day!
In Year 1 we have been learning all about Judaism and Shabbat. An important part of Jewish culture and tradition is making and sharing Challah bread, so that's what 1NM did today! The children had a brilliant time all taking turns to help make and plait the bread and then we all got to share it together.
Our challah bread turned out so well that we thought we would share the recipe in case anyone wants to try it for themselves!
* 600ml (1 pint) warm water (45 C)
* 1 tablespoon dried active baking yeast
* 7 tablespoons honey
* 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 3 eggs
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1kg (2 1/4 lb) plain flour
* 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
Prep:3hr › Cook:40min › Ready in:3hr40min
1. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Beat in honey, oil, 2 eggs and salt. Add the flour in small amounts, beating after each addition, graduating to kneading with hands as dough thickens. Knead until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed. Cover with a clean damp cloth and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
2. Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured board. Divide in half and knead each half for five minutes or so, adding flour as needed to keep from getting sticky. Divide each half into thirds and roll into long snake about 4cm (1 1/2 in) in diameter. Pinch the ends of the three snakes together firmly and plait from middle.
3. Grease two baking trays and place a finished plait on each. Cover with towel and let rise about one hour.
4. Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
5. Beat the remaining egg and brush a generous amount over each plait. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
6. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Bread should have a nice hollow sound when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a rack for at least one hour before slicing.
Year 1 have had a brilliant Around the World Day today! We've spent the day doing lots of activities to do with around the world to finish the topic before Easter. We have been learning lots about Frances Drake so today we did some writing about him as well as painting a picture of his boat, the Golden Hind! We also labelled different places in the UK on a map to show how much we've learned about the countries that make up the United Kingdom. We then presented lots of facts that we have learnt from our topic in groups to the class and had parents come in in the afternoon to share our learning with us.